The 2014 Boston Gun BuyBack Program â€œYour Piece for Peaceâ€ is under way and will run at designated drop-off site throughout the city Monday through Friday from 12pm to 7pm.
District A-1, which includes the North End/Waterfront area drop-off site is 10 New Sudbury Street.
“The program has been created to empower communities to come together and get these illegal guns off neighborhood streets,” according to police. “Every gun turned into the program is a life potentially saved,” police added.
As part of a broad anti–violence strategy, community support and engagement is needed to make this program a success.
“The community needs to take control and do whatever it needs to ensure there are fewer guns on the Street,” according to police.
This is a “no questions asked” program that will allow individuals to dispose of firearms without fear of charges for illegal possession.
The program provides an opportunity to easily turn in a weapon and reduce the risk that a gun might be stolen and used for criminal activity.
Those who do not want to deliver a firearm to a designated drop-off site, can make arrangements for a private exchange by calling 1-888-GUNTIPS between the hours on 8am-11pm.
The following procedure MUST be followed in order to receive amnesty for possession of a gun, and to receive a gift certificate. If the protocol is followed, the person dropping off the firearm will not be prosecuted for unlawful possession of that specific firearm. Amnesty will not be given for any other crime committed with that firearm or for any other crime committed while in possession of that firearm.
1. Gun must be delivered unloaded.
2. Gun must be put in a clear plastic bag, and put into another container (gym bag, backpack etc.).
3. If depositing ammunition in addition to a gun, ammunition must be delivered in a separate bag.
4. If transporting the gun by car, gun must be transported in the trunk of the car.
5. After the gun is screened by officers, and determined to be a working firearm, a gift card will be given.
6. Rifles and Shotguns will be accepted,however no incentive will be issued.