By Phil Orlandella
North End/Waterfront Health offers tips on how to talk to children about drugs and alcohol
Many public and private agencies are dealing with drugs and alcohol use throughout the city and state in an effort to curtail the major problem that currently exists.
Drug and alcohol abuse involves all ages but it has become obvious one of the best ways these problems can be dealt with is talking about the problem at an early age with children. Talking to children at an early age and presenting the facts and being educated on the subject as a parent.
North End Waterfront Health has published information on how to talk to your children about drugs and alcohol offering 13 suggestions geared to help prevent this problem that affects everyone in one way or another.
Talking to your children about drugs and alcohol:
- Be educated about drugs and alcohol yourself.
- Give them the facts.
- Asked them what they know about drugs and alcohol.
- What you do is just as important as what you say.
- Give the correct information in a non-judging, neutral way.
- Have clear communication but be able to set limits.
- Begin having conversations about drugs and alcohol at an early age.
- Have frequent shot discussions.
- Talk often.
- Be sure that the conversation goes both ways.
- Find teachable moments; like driving in the car.
- Be realistic…. We know that drugs are out there.
- Remember that is better for children to get this kind of information from a trusted person.
NEMPAC offers exciting Youth Programs
North End Music and Performing Arts Center is offering an exciting new program for older students (11-13) wanting to continue on with the arts. That’s worth looking into.
Designed for youth singers, actors and dancers, this week-long intensive program inspires participants to explore their creativeness and further develop their performance skills.
Students will also learn more advanced music and theater skills while being in front of a live audience at NEMPAC performances.
Another NEAD successful family event
North End Against Drugs (NEAD) once again filled the hall at the Nazzaro Community Center for it’s Family Dinner/Family Talk special program.
Many North End families and local youth attended the popular event which featured an Italian dinner, other refreshments, a raffle and a guest speaker.
For over 20 years, NEAD has provided many activities, events and endeavors for the community including the highly successful North End Pride Day and Week and North End National Night Out to name a few.
NEAD: It’s All About Family!