North End Post 144 Veterans of Foreign Wars celebrated their 90th Anniversary with over 200 people at the U.S. Coast Guard Base on Commercial Street.
In the spring of 1921, a group of 25 World War 1 veterans gathered under the direction of Anthony Iasi, to consider the establishment of a VFW Post in the North End. A petition was filed on September 1, 1921 and a charter was granted to 85 veterans on October 25, 1921.
The first VFW meeting was held in the now defunct North End Union, 20 Parmenter Street and moved to temporary quarters at 103 North Washington Street, before settling into permanent quarters at 214 Hanover Street.
Two more moves later, the VFW purchased the post quarters at 246 Hanover Street from the Salvation Army.
For 90 years the North End Post has been an integral part of the neighborhood and the VFW organization.
The opening ceremonies included the presentation of the colors by the VFW State Honor Guard. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Past Senior Vice-Commander Ralph Maschilli.
A Convocation of Grace by Father Alphonse Ferreira and greetings from Master of Ceremonies, Past Commander Christian Kulikoski who also introduced guests.
The history of Post 144 dinner address was presented by Past Commander in Chief Paul Spera. The honorable Coleman Nee Secretary of the Department of Veterans Services addressed the attendees. Mrs. Joanne Spera presented the Blue Star Banner.
All proceeds from the anniversary event will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
Each year, the VFW makes contributions to several worthy organizations ranging from $300 to $2,000.
This year’s recipients were: Casa Monte Casino, St. Agrippina DiMineo Society of Boston, Madonna Della Cava Society of Boston, The Listening Center of Lynn. Fr. Alphonse Ferreira, Nazzaro Community Center, New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans, North End Athletic Association, North End Against Drugs and North End Waterfront Health.
The Regional Review presented the Post with a plaque depicting last year’s event.